I'm pleased to be with The M Block and for my first recruit film breakdown I figured it would only be fitting to do so on 2014 QB David Cornwell. If you follow Michigan recruiting you know about 2013 QB commit Shane Morris so the coaches are able to be very choosy in who they offer in 2014. David has been very vocal on twitter as of late about wanting an offer from the coaches. Well I'm here to tell you that I think he should get one and here's why.
1. Size. The first thing I noticed when I hit play on his film is his size. David measures at 6'5" and 235 pounds and he just towers over everyone else on the field. Immediately I thought of Ben Roethlisberger the QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
2. Arm Strength. David has a legit cannon. He can make all the throws whether its a quick slant, 3-step drop, 5-step drop, or even when he is on the run he can literally sling it all over the field. In his film the receivers just flat couldn't hang on to some of his throws that hit them right on the hands. I'd have to ask them but it looked to me because he was throwing lasers.
3. Footwork/Mobility. Don't let the size fool you into thinking he's a statue back there in the pocket. He utilizes great footwork to elude pass rushers in the pocket and also has the speed to run boot legs and hit receivers on the run. There were plays that he literally just shrugged defenders off, rolled out and hit receivers down field for completions.
1. Bad Decisions. It only happened a few times and this is something he will grow out of I think but on occasion he would run to the right and then throw back across the field. Granted he completed the passes but this is only high school. When he comes up against elite defenses whether its in the big ten or any other conference he won't get away with that. It's typically the case with kids that have rocket arms so its not a major concern as I do believe he will learn to not force it.
2. Reckless Abandon. As I eluded above he is just a monster of a kid and there's times he chooses just to run kids over. Well college coaches won't want their starting QB doing that because he's no good injured. I think with time David will learn to slide and not willingly take on so much contact.
Now we all know the Michigan coaches are going to be very picky with who they offer in 2014 as far as the QB position goes but I believe David should be one and will eventually get that offer he covets. He's got all the physical tools that I think Al Borges wants in his QB. He's versatile and runs pro and spread offense so it's definitely somebody I would like to see the coaches offer. Right now there's only a week left to wrap up the 2013 class so once that's over with on February 6th I think things really heat up with David. Check out his film and see if you share the same opinion as I do.